Saturday, August 7, 2010

What's Grosser Than Gross?

Warning: do not read this if you get easily grossed out. It makes me sick just thinking about it.

I was just discussing with my homegirl Maya Bidiya the virtues of veganism. Personally I eat salad to keep my food pretty much cruelty free. Yesterday I chopped open a red pepper to see that not only had I had successfully chopped the top off said pepper but also cut some sort of tiny caterpillar in half. We sat there looking at each other for a bit. the lil' feller was a gonner and he didn't even know it. So I just made him comfortable putting him in the bag with all the vegetable trimmings where he could eat his fill while the food kept pouring out the other side. I cleaned my pepper and pressed on. This hearkened me back to days in the Bronx as a child and roaches would get into the box of Golden Grahams and I would have to turn on the kitchen light, wait a minute. enter the room. grab the box, open the box, smack the box three times on the table, leave for a couple of minutes as a courtesy for them to get out of the box. Gingerly I'd pour cereal into the bowl. inspect it for any dead roaches or stragglers. Then pour the milk, eat, repeat. Any roaches alive or dead that would float to the surface I'd just remove with my spoon and keep it moving. Disgusting, I know but this is how it was. I am grateful that I don't ever have to experience any of that again on many levels. It is a fantastic life. Now without flinching I'm going sit, pray and fully appreciate my shredded wheat, banana, raisins and milled flaxseeds measured out perfectly with eight ounces of silk unsweetened soy milk. cruelty free of course. Have a great morning. Eat a good breakfast it's the most important part of your day.

No comments: